The Grand Theft Auto franchise is without doubt a pretty darn popular one, and with the upcoming release of Grand Theft Auto 5, we expect the franchise to get even bigger than ever. However we’re also expecting that there are gamers out there who are wondering why a Grand Theft Auto movie hasn’t been made yet, after all there are games out there such as Doom, Max Payne, and World of Warcraft who have movies made about them (or at least in the works for World of Warcraft), so why not Grand Theft Auto, right? Well it seems that Rockstar has been approached in the past about making a Grand Theft Auto movie multiple times, but each offer has since been turned down.
According to Rockstar’s co-founder, Dan Houser (via the Guardian), “We’ve been offered, many times, and it’s never appealed. The money’s never been close to be worth risking one’s crown jewels. Our small dabblings with Hollywood have always left us running back to games. The freedom we have to do what we want creatively is of enormous value.” House also stated that the Grand Theft Auto franchise felt more like a television series compared to a movie, but overall felt that they might sully the franchise if they did something like that. What do you guys think? Would you like to see a Grand Theft Auto movie in the future?
- 2014-04-16 Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Trailer Recreated In GTA 5
- 2014-04-08 Grand Theft Auto V On PC, Xbox One And PS4 This June (Rumor)
- 2014-03-18 GTA 5 For PC Beta Test Emails Are Fake And Contain Malware
- 2014-03-02 Skyfall Train Fight Scene Created In GTA 5
- 2014-02-27 Mobster's Daughter Alleges GTA 5 Used Her Story And Likeness Without Her Permission