A number of Apple Retail Stores around the world have amazing design and architecture. At home, New York’s infamous Fifth Avenue store is one of them, and so is the store in Shanghai, China. A glass cylinder leads customers down to the Apple Retail Store in Shanghai, the company has now been awarded a patent for this design. The patent is called Glass building panel and building made therefrom, and it describes the design of said glass cylinder. Metal joints are used to hold the big curved glass panels together, curving the panels to form the correct shape and to make them strong enough to bear their own weight and that of customers going back and forth certainly wouldn’t have been an easy task.
The Shanghai Apple Store was opened back in 2010 as part of Apple’s sales push in China. It was the second store to be opened in the country. The iconic cylinder is 40 feet high and contains the largest curved glass panels. The store has one of the largest Genius Bars and is also one of the largest stores that Apple has ever built. As of now there are three Apple Stores in Shanghai alone, a fourth one is expected to be opened in the near future.
- 2014-01-09: Apple Opens 10th Retail Store In Mainland China Tomorrow
- 2013-12-23: Thieves Rob Apple Store In Berlin, Crash Car Into Front Door
- 2013-12-01: Apple Stores Feature Red Colored Logo For World AIDS Day
- 2013-11-24: Tim Cook Decides Against Opening Apple Retail Stores On Thanksgiving
- 2013-11-20: Apple Store App For iPad Revealed At Last