Just a few days ago, the Internet went completely bonkers from what appeared to be a screenshot of the Google Play Store running on a BlackBerry Z10. The image made many believe Google Play would soon be headed to BlackBerry devices, although BlackBerry would like you to proceed to hold your horses.
“I can confirm that there is no planned support for Google Play on BlackBerry,” a BlackBerry representative told CNET earlier today.
Considering many of BlackBerry 10’s applications were Android applications that have been ported over to a new operating system, the idea of Google Play headed to BlackBerry 10 devices wasn’t completely out of the realm of possibility. But with today’s confirmation from a BlackBerry representative, it looks like those who are looking for a better selection of popular applications will have to just wait until BlackBerry World becomes as populated as Google Play or Apple’s App Store.
That leads us to question why exactly did a photo surface of a BlackBerry Z10 showing off Google Play? Based on BlackBerry’s response, we can assume it’s either a fake or someone figured out how to get Google Play on their Z10. Either way, don’t expect Google Play to be headed to your BlackBerry 10 device any time soon.
- 2014-04-16: Google Offering $100,000 For Best Project Ara Module
- 2014-04-16: Possible Redesigned Google+ App For Android Spotted
- 2014-04-16: Google Develops Algorithm That Can Decipher Its Own CAPTCHAs
- 2014-04-16: Google Launches Standalone Camera App For Android
- 2014-04-16: Chrome Remote Desktop Hits Mobile Devices
- 2014-03-17: Google Play Services 4.3 Arrives
- 2014-03-17: Google Play Games Receives Virtual Gifts
- 2014-03-05: Google Play Games Version 1.5 Arrives
- 2014-02-03: Google Play Services 4.2 Released On Android Devices
- 2014-01-09: Google Play Services 4.1 Delivers Turn-Based Multiplayer Support