Back in 2012, Apple won a lawsuit against Samsung which saw damages of $1 billion that could potentially have been awarded to Apple. However it was later ruled that this was a miscalculation of $400 million, which is why Apple and Samsung are back in the courts again where both sides are arguing for more/less money. Well it looks like a middle ground had been reached as the jury has since decided that Samsung owes Apple an extra $290 million for infringing upon their patents.
Apple had expected to get $379 million, while Samsung estimated that they owed maybe an extra $52 million. Safe to say neither side got what they wanted, although in Samsung’s case it seems like this is definitely more than what they had originally hoped to pay. In total, along with the damages awarded from the original trial, it has been reported that Samsung now owes Apple $640 million in damages. We expect Samsung will attempt to appeal this, but as to whether their appeal will be successful or not remains to be seen. Either way it looks like this patent war between Apple and Samsung is far from over, and we can expect it to roll over in 2014 and maybe even further into the future.
- 2014-04-24 Samsung Galaxy S5 Crystal Collection To Launch In May
- 2014-04-24 Samsung Galaxy Beam 2 Officially Launched In China
- 2014-04-24 Samsung Patent Could Hint At Galaxy Note 4's Design [Rumor]
- 2014-04-24 Samsung Galaxy S5 Outsold The iPhone 5s In Its Opening Weekend
- 2014-04-24 Samsung To Launch Gear App Challenge On May 8th
- 2014-04-08 Apple Seeks $2.2 Billion In Damages From Samsung
- 2014-04-08 Samsung Sues South Korean Publication Over Negative Galaxy S5 Press
- 2014-04-07 Leaked Document Reveals How Samsung Viewed Apple As An "Extremely Real" Threat
- 2014-04-06 White House Had Legal Talks With Samsung Over Recent Selfie
- 2014-04-04 Internal Email Reveals Apple's Sales Team's Worry About The Competition