The thriving city of London is truly a potpourri and melting pot of people and culture, and things look set to move forward in the right direction all the more in 2014 as London prides itself in being the first city in the world to offer its very own domain name from next year onward. This means businesses, individuals as well as organizations would be in the running for the application of web addresses that come with the .london suffix. I do wonder whether there will be folks who will perform some sort of cyber squatting on the more popular domain names.
All of this is made possible as London was awarded with the right to its own top level domain (TLD) name by ICANN, which happens to be an organization which is based in the US that oversees the internet. Among the numerous businesses (said to number in the tens of thousands) which have already expressed an interest would be Selfridges and Carnaby Street. London mayor Boris Johnson said, “Adopting the .london suffix will enable organisations to more closely associate themselves with our great city’s powerful global brand. This is also an excellent opportunity to expand London’s digital presence, which in turn is set to generate funds to invest back into the city.”
- 2013-11-18: London To Receive Own Domain Name Next Year
- 2013-09-02: Reflections From London Skyscraper Melts Car
- 2013-08-08: London Signs Up For Secure Our Smartphones (SOS) Initiative
- 2013-07-09: London Mayor Wants Major Vendors To Help Reduce Smartphone Theft
- 2013-06-18: Samsung Livestreaming Its Galaxy, ATIV June 20th Event
- 2013-06-12: iTray Drone Food Servers Being Introduced In London Restaurant