Bad news folks, if you were hoping for Fallout 4 to be announced in the near future, prepare to be disappointed. It turns out that the website, The Survivor 2299, was revealed to be an elaborate hoax pulled off by someone of the Fallout community. However given the complexity of the hoax, such as updating it with morse code that made references to the game, we guess it can’t be helped that many bought into it. The website was launched back in November and shortly after, the Fallout 4 trademark was filed, although the trademark was soon disproved and turned out to be a fake. At that point there were many who were speculating that the website was a fake, but the constant updates gave fans hope that Bethesda might announce something after the Spike TV VGX.
The Spike TV VGX will be taking place this weekend and shortly before, Bethesda’s Pete Hines revealed that the company had nothing to announce then, although the website’s countdown to the 11th of December had some believing that we could be seeing a post-Spike TV VGX announcement. A message was left by the prankster, which reads, “Don’t hate bethesda, hate me. That’s all. I really hope you’ll get a real Fallout 4 soon, guys.” So there you have it guys, it turns out the entire thing was too good to be true after all. Will we be seeing a Fallout 4? That’s hard to say, but Bethesda has promised that they will be “making more noise” later this year, but we guess it will not be with a Fallout 4 announcement. Either way stayed tuned and we’ll keep you guys updated with any future announcements or teasers that might come our way!
- 2013-12-11: Fallout 4 Could Be In The Works, According To Leaked Casting Call Documents
- 2013-12-09: Fallout 4 Website Creator Hoped His Stunt Would Force Bethesda To Reveal Their Hand
- 2013-12-06: Fallout 4 Website Turns Out To Be Fake
- 2013-12-06: Fallout 4 Teaser Website Reveals New Message; Counting Down To Dec. 11
- 2013-12-05: Bethesda Has Nothing To Announce At The Spike TV VGX
- 2013-12-01: Mysterious Fallout Website Releases Another Coded Message
- 2013-11-17: Fallout 4 Trademarked In Europe By Bethesda