World of Warcraft accounts, and like many other online gaming accounts, are susceptible to hacks. This can happen either by players choosing bad passwords, or clicking on bad links which have been disguised to look like official links from Blizzard or a developer. Well the good news for those who have ever been hacked, justice has been somewhat served over in China where a group of ten men have been sentenced to prison for up to two years for hacking over 11,000 World of Warcraft accounts.
The team of hackers were led by two men, Chen and Zhu, who would hack World of Warcraft accounts and then extract all the gold and items found in each character, and then sell the rest on auction for $3, making it ideal for gamers looking to save time leveling up a high level character. By the time they were caught, Chen and Zhu reportedly managed to rake in around $10,800. While Chen was fined $8,000, his partners in crime were fined $1,000 each, while all of them received 2 years of prison each.
Hacking has been an issue with World of Warcraft and Blizzard has warned in the past that by purchasing gold, you could be encouraging hackers to hack accounts to steal the gold in which they then sell back to you. Granted it is possible that the gold is being farmed without hacking, but sometimes it is done through the use of bots which also goes against Blizzard’s ToS.
Next Story: Oppo R1 Is Official, Will Cost Around $410
- 2014-04-13: Teen Records Himself Getting Bullied On iPad, Gets Charged With Wiretapping Instead
- 2014-04-11: Man's Breakup Text To Fiancée Might Have Cost Him $50,000
- 2014-04-11: World Of Warcraft's Choppers Are About To Be Made A Reality
- 2014-04-08: Warlords Of Draenor New Tauren Animations Shown Off
- 2014-04-03: World Of Warcraft: Warlords Of Draenor Enters Alpha Testing Phase
- 2014-03-13: Warlords Of Draenor Will Be Released By The End Of The Year
- 2014-03-10: World Of Warcraft Movie Actor Feels Pressured
- 2013-10-25: WoW Bot Maker Asks For Donations After Being Hit With $7m In Damages
- 2013-10-17: Blizzard Wins Legal Battle Against World Of Warcraft Bot Maker
- 2012-09-17: World of Warcraft patent infringement case set for hearing in 2013