Last year it was reported multiple times that due to disappointing sales of the Galaxy S4, Samsung has decided to launch Galaxy S5 earlier than originally planned. Some rumors even pegged the launch for January 2014. There have been conflicting rumors about a possible Galaxy S5 release date, and the latest from Korean publication inews24 offers a new timeframe. This publication claims to have heard from Samsung executive Dong-hoon Chang that the company is going to launch Galaxy S5 at the Mobile World Congress 2014 in Barcelona next month.
Mr. Chang is currently the executive vice president and head of the design team at Samsung’s IT & Mobile Communications Division as well as the Head of Design Strategy Team at Samsung Electronics’ Corporate Design Center. He is certainly a high level executive, and it seems a bit odd that someone in his position is “confirming” the launch of this year’s flagship smartphone even before the company has made an official announcement. So its best to take this report with a grain of salt. The report also claims that Galaxy S5 might not be the final moniker for this device, which implies that perhaps Samsung has a new moniker in mind for its 2014 flagship smartphone. As always, Samsung has not commented on rumors about the Galaxy S5. MWC 2014 kicks off on February 24th, so we’ll know for sure then.
Next Story: Google Glass Price Expected To Be $600
- 2014-04-17: Samsung Uses Eco-friendly Packaging In Galaxy Series Devices
- 2014-04-16: Samsung Exec Felt Jobs' Death Was 'Best Opportunity' To Attack iPhone
- 2014-04-16: AT&T Galaxy S4 Active Android 4.4 Update Released
- 2014-04-16: Samsung Android Wear Smartwatch Expected Later This Year
- 2014-04-16: Samsung Shows Off Curved Batteries Used In The Gear Fit
- 2014-02-25: PayPal To Support Fingerprint Authorization For Payments Via Samsung Galaxy S5
- 2014-02-24: Samsung Galaxy S5 Review: Hands-On
- 2014-02-21: Samsung MWC Trailer Hints At Waterproof & Dustproof Features
- 2014-02-20: Galaxy S5 Could Come In A Gold Option [Rumor]
- 2014-02-20: Galaxy S5 'Kids Mode' Rumored