Planning on getting your hands on a Microsoft Surface Pro 2 tablet? Well you might want to hold off on doing so just yet, at least for a week or two because according to reports, it seems that Microsoft has quietly upgraded the CPU of the Surface Pro 2 tablet, giving it a bump in clock speed as well in terms of features, which oddly enough the company did not announce. Then again we guess many original Surface Pro 2 owners might not be pleased to hear that Microsoft is now selling an improved version while they’re running an “older” model. So what are the changes that Microsoft made?
Currently the Surface Pro 2 sports a Intel i5-4200U chipset clocked at 1.6GHz. The new Surface Pro 2 models run an Intel i5-4300U chipset clocked at a speedier 1.9GHz, which also includes Intel’s Trusted Execution Technology that helps improve software security. This little upgrade was discovered when one Surface Pro 2 owner swapped his faulty unit for a new one and discovered the changes. According to a statement made by Microsoft, “Microsoft routinely makes small changes to internal components over the lifetime of a product, based on numerous factors including supply chain partnerships, availability, and value for our customers.”
It is unclear why Microsoft makes these changes as it does seem a tad unfair to early adopters who might feel a little bit cheated that they paid the same amount but for older hardware, but in any case if you have yet to get the Surface Pro 2 tablet, you might want to hold off until older stock gets depleted, or head on over to the store and check out its hardware first before buying.
- 2014-04-14: Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview Could Be Released Today [Rumor]
- 2014-04-13: Microsoft Looks Into 3D Face Scanner Using Windows Phone Handset
- 2014-04-13: IRS Reportedly Paying Microsoft Millions For Extended Windows XP Support
- 2014-04-11: Microsoft Research Shows Off Interactive Live Tiles
- 2014-04-10: Age Of Empires: World Domination Greets iOS, Android And Windows Phone Platforms This Year
- 2014-04-03: Microsoft Surface Pro 2 Purchase Comes With Free Controller, 2 Games
- 2014-04-03: Surface Pro 2 Users Experiencing Slow WiFi When Bluetooth Is Enabled
- 2014-03-24: Surface Pro 2 Tablets Apparently Still Using Older Processors
- 2014-01-20: Surface 2 Tablets Back In Stock On Microsoft Store Website
- 2014-01-19: Microsoft Surface Pro 2 Firmware Update Released Once Again