Just yesterday at CES 2014, Sony announced PlayStation Now which was the company’s game streaming services where gamers could stream games onto a variety of Sony products, such as the PS3, PS4, PS Vita, and even the company’s lineup of BRAVIA televisions. Also given the fact that the games are processed on Sony’s servers, technically one could stream the games onto mobile devices as well, although we’re not sure if this will provide the ideal experience.
In any case we’re sure many are wondering, with streaming requiring a stable internet, exactly how fast should our internet speeds be in order to enjoy the game? After all there’s really no fun in streaming a game if you’re going to lag and interrupt the stream every few minutes, right?
Well in response to a question posed by a reader of Sony’s PS blog, Sony revealed that having a 5MBPS+ connection would be recommended. According to Matthew Harper who answered the question, “In our internal tests, users with this bandwidth or greater have been enjoying a low latency, high-quality gaming experience. PS Now tests your connection of each game and optimizes for quality if you are above the minimum requirements.” Harper went on to state that the upcoming closed beta should allow gamers to test their connection and their experiences.
Should Sony work towards optimizing PlayStation Now for even slower internet connections? After all not everywhere in the world has fast and stable connections, and granted while PlayStation Now will be limited to the US for the time-being, we expect Sony will want to expand its services in the future.
- 2014-04-11: Sony Vaio Fit 11A Recall Because Of Battery Overheating Risk
- 2014-04-11: Sony Unveils H1Z1, Upcoming Zombie MMO Title
- 2014-04-10: Sony A7s Priced In The UK At £2,500 Body-Only
- 2014-04-08: Improved PS Vita In Borderlands 2 Bundle Hits The US This May 6
- 2014-04-08: DxoMark Finds Sony Xperia Z2 To Have The Best Camera At The Moment
- 2014-02-06: Analyst Calls PlayStation Now A Joke
- 2014-01-28: PlayStation Now Might Not Be Used To Stream PS1/PS2 Games
- 2014-01-07: Sony PlayStation Now Game Streaming Service Announced