For those unfamiliar, Irrational Games is the company behind the BioShock franchise, who frankly speaking made some of the more entertaining and interesting steampunk games available today. In fact it got so popular to the point where there are many cosplayers out there who are more than willing to cosplay as Elizabeth from BioShock Infinite. That being said, in a surprising move, it seems that Irrational Games will be closing down according to an update from the studio’s co-founder, Ken Levine. Approximately 15 members of staff will be laid off.
It is unclear why Levine will be shutting down the studio, but perhaps the BioShock franchise got a lot bigger than he had expected. According to Levine, “I need to refocus my energy on a smaller team with a flatter structure and a more direct relationship with gamers. In many ways, it will be a return to how we started: a small team making games for the core gaming audience.” The good news is that the BioShock franchise will not go down with the studio as the series will be handed over to 2K, one of Take-Two’s subsidiaries. Levine also stated that he will be “starting a smaller, more entrepreneurial endeavor at Take-Two,” so it will definitely be something to keep an eye out for.
- 2014-02-21: BioShock Vita's Status Remains Unknown
- 2014-02-19: BioShock Developer Irrational Games Will Be Shutting Down
- 2013-10-25: BioShock Infinite: Burial At Sea Episode 1 Releasing November 12
- 2013-04-16: BioShock Infinite Player Asks For Refund After Viewing Religiously Offensive Scene
- 2013-04-11: BioShock Infinite Players React To Boy Of Silence In Compilation Video
- 2013-04-03: BioShock Infinite's Columbia Recreated In Minecraft