Now here is a game that just about any publisher would love to have released – one that is hugely popular among the masses, not to mention the fact that it has also made its way to various platforms. I am referring to Minecraft, where its sales on the Mac and PC has just passed the 14 million mark, while its total lifetime sales has reached at least 35 million. Minecraft creator Markus “Notch” Persson tweeted this particular milestone, and for those who are interested in sales figures of the Mac and PC versions can continue to look to it on the Minecraft website.
As for the other versions of Minecraft, as of last week the PlayStation 3 version did manage to sell more than a million copies, touching this particularly impressive figure in a matter of five weeks. If we were to rewind the clock back by a little bit, December 2013 saw the Xbox 360 version selling 10 million copies, hence making it one of the best-selling games of 2013 in the US, at least according to the folks over at NPD. Do bear in mind that the disc itself was released in June, which is a year after being available on Xbox Live. As for the Pocket Edition for different mobile platforms, it hit 10 million sales in May last year.
- 2014-04-16: Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition Arriving This May 16th
- 2014-04-13: 4J Studios Teases Minecraft For PS4, PS Vita
- 2014-04-07: The Simpsons Couch Gag Gets A Minecraft Theme
- 2014-04-04: Minecraft For Xbox 360 Crosses The 12 Million Copies Sold Mark
- 2014-03-31: Minecraft PS3 Update Delivers New Features Like Zombie Villagers