Earlier this month Huawei announced its plans to launch a dual boot Windows Phone and Android device. The idea behind this device to give users more flexibility and choice on a single gadget, eliminating the need to carry to separate devices for each platform. Less than two weeks after this statement was made by Huawei CMO Shao Yang, the company said in a statement today that it has no plans of launching a dual-OS smartphone “in the near future.”
Huawei has predominantly built and sold Android smartphones. It has committed to the Windows Phone platform as well, and its experience in building competitive smartphones at relatively low prices could aid Microsoft significantly in increasing the global market share of its mobile platform. While a dual-OS smartphone might not be on the agenda, the company has confirmed that it will continue to supply Windows Phone devices “as long as the customers continue to demand” them.
Taiwan’s ASUS recently announced plans for a device that would run Windows 8.1 and Android. It too has backed down from the project, leading many to believe the rumors that have been floating around for the past couple of weeks.
Apparently there was pressure from Google and Microsoft against these dual-OS devices. The companies probably didn’t want the lines between their respective platforms to blue, even if building and selling dual-OS devices meant that OEMs could tout about doing what not a lot of other manufacturers are doing.
- 2014-04-23 OnePlus' Marketing Stunt Asks The Public To Smash The Past
- 2014-04-21 Leaked Android Dialer App Screenshot Shows Slight Makeover
- 2014-04-21 Apple And Google Reportedly Vying For Mobile Game Exclusives
- 2014-04-20 Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Makes Its Way Onto Android
- 2014-04-18 Chuwi Cloned Lenovo’s Android-Powered Yoga Tablets
- 2014-04-10 Age Of Empires: World Domination Greets iOS, Android And Windows Phone Platforms This Year
- 2014-03-23 Huawei CMO Thinks It's Hard To Differentiate Windows Phone Brands
- 2014-03-13 Huawei To Introduce Dual Boot Windows Phone And Android Device
- 2013-10-07 Microsoft Approached Samsung And Huawei About Dual-Booting Windows Phone/Android Devices [Rumor]
- 2011-07-20 Android legal losses could lead to more MeeGo/Windows Phone devices?