With every major revision of Android, Google brings about small changes to the appearance of the Android operating system. So far we’ve seen Google experiment with a bunch of different looks and according to the folks at Android Police, they claim that according to a new rumor, Google could be giving its app icons a visual makeover, possibly in a future major Android update which could be revealed at Google I/O later this June.
According to them, the new style of icons are known internally as “Moonshine” and is basically a redesign of the Google app icons to more closely resemble its web counterpart. For example the Gmail icon on the web and on Android looks different from one another, and while more proficient and experience Android users will have no problem identifying the app, first-time users could be a little lost.
They go on to state that the new design language Google would be opting for its icons would include a flatter appearance, together with long, hard shadows strategically placed behind prominent elements. The screenshot pictured to the right is courtesy of Android Police’s source who is apparently familiar with the matter, thus affording us a look as to what the newly designed icons could look like.
For the most part they are readily identifiable upon first glance and we have to say that we are liking what we see so far. Now the question is whether or not Google will actually make those changes. Since we’re still far away from Google I/O and a potential major Android update announcement, there is a chance that the design of the icons have yet to be finalized and that things could change at the last minute, so don’t get your heart set on this design just yet, but in the meantime what do you guys think? Are you digging the new look?
- 2014-04-18: Chuwi Cloned Lenovo’s Android-Powered Yoga Tablets
- 2014-04-17: Galaxy S5 Review
- 2014-04-17: Madison For Android Declares War On In-App Advertisements
- 2014-04-17: Flickr 3.0 Brings Filters, Editing Tools And More
- 2014-04-16: Possible Redesigned Google+ App For Android Spotted
- 2014-04-15: Google Glass Android 4.4 KitKat Update Arrives
- 2014-04-10: Chrome Beta For Android Updated
- 2014-04-10: Google Expands Security Services For Android
- 2014-04-10: Google Dogfooding Android 4.4.3 KitKat [Rumor]