One of the Nintendo Wii U’s unique selling points is the fact that it is essentially like a much bigger 3DS system in the sense that the GamePad on the Wii U can act as a secondary display in which gamers can interact with. For games like ZombieU, this meant that the GamePad can be used to access your inventory while your main screen will display all the action.
Unfortunately it seems that Nintendo did not create this technology or idea themselves, and it seems that they might not have licensed the technology either, at least that’s according to a recent lawsuit in which a company by the name of Secure Axcess is suing Nintendo for allegedly infringing on the patent.
This is not the first time that Nintendo has been sued for patent infringement and while they might have lost some, they have also won some of their cases before. According to the patent that Nintendo allegedly infringed upon, it is described as “a computer providing multiple display capability where one display presents the current document and another display may show a true display of a previously opened document.”
Secure Axcess is also suing retailers such as Wal-Mart, Target, and Amazon who sold the devices, although we’re not sure how successful they will be since those retailers only sold the device as opposed to making it and selling it. The company is current asking for compensatory damages, costs, among other reliefs.
If anything it sounds like Secure Axcess might be just another patent troll looking to reach some kind of settlement agreement based on a vaguely worded patent. Will they be successful? We guess we will just have to wait and see, but either way we’re pretty sure another patent lawsuit is not what Nintendo needs at the moment.
- 2014-04-17: Nintendo Sued For Alleged Patent Infringement Over Wii U's Dual Screen Capabilities
- 2014-04-17: Box Art Hints At Mario Kart 8 Wii U Bundle
- 2014-04-15: Wii Remote Plus Controller Gets Princess Peach Theme
- 2014-04-09: DIY Nintendo 64 Portable Console
- 2014-04-09: Super Smash Bros. Has A Bunch Of Rules That Could Get You Banned
- 2014-04-03: Mario Kart 8 Will Run At 30fps With 3-4 Players
- 2014-04-01: EA Apologizes To Nintendo For "Unacceptable" Wii U Joke
- 2014-03-24: Over 50 Unity Titles Developed For The Wii U