With Apple’s introduction of FaceTime video chatting on its iPhone 4, video chatting seems to be in vogue again. You might have noticed that RIM’s freshly-announced PlayBook tablet features front and back cameras, which had led to speculation that RIM might want to lean on its massively popular BlackBerry Messenger service that has over 35 million active users to introduce video calling. If video chatting were to be integrated into BlackBerry Messenger, it would be a great way for RIM to try and put one over Apple in the video calling scene as RIM already has a large dedicated user base. Will video chatting be an important feature to the PlayBook? Only time will tell.
- 2014-01-16: Apple FaceTime Invention Boasts Of Face Morphing And Image Matching To Ensure That Video Remains Smooth
- 2013-09-20: BBM For Android Leaked Apk Surfaces Online
- 2013-08-01: BlackBerry Messenger For Android Spotted In The Wild
- 2013-06-28: BBM Coming To iOS, Android 'Before The End Of The Summer'
- 2013-06-06: BlackBerry Messenger Releasing On iOS, Android June 27
- 2013-05-16: BBM For iPad Support Won't Be Available At Launch
- 2012-05-21: 3G FaceTime a possibility after spotting an iOS 5.1.1 error message
- 2011-11-17: iOS code string could indicate instant messaging unification