As Facebook continues on its path of internet domination, it is gradually giving users even more reasons not to leave the website. Its latest move? The introduction of the “Happening Now” sidebar. Similar to a Twitter timeline, the Happening Now sidebar displays additional information that isn’t usually on the main news feed – i.e. friends liking a link or making new friends.
The Happening Now sidebar also updates in real time, letting users read updates as soon as they happen without having to click a link to refresh. Do we really need dual-feeds? Not really. But having a news feed bar to block the adverts seems like a good idea for people who aren’t fans of ads. Happening Now is being tested with a small group of users. No word on when or if it will ever make it to everybody on Facebook, but stay tuned.
Next Story: Lulz Security takes down the bad guys
- 2014-04-10: Facebook Makes Improvements To Reduce News Feed Spam
- 2014-04-10: FTC Clears Facebook/WhatsApp Deal, Must Honor Privacy Obligations
- 2014-04-09: Facebook To Remove In-App Messaging, Forces Users To Download Messenger App
- 2014-04-09: Facebook Messenger For Asha, Lumia, Nokia X Announced
- 2014-04-08: Mom Checks Son's Facebook, Saves Him From Getting Shot