[CES 2012] In the past, Dell has not been known for its forte in product design. Instead, the brand’s reputation relied more on its ability to provide affordable computers for the masses. With the rise of the iPhone and the constant domination of Apple on the high-end laptops market segment (over $1000), the Austin-based company decided last year to operate a drastic shift in brand and product positioning to increase its profitability in the consumer PC market. Basically, Dell made the decision to deliver user-centric products instead of exclusively focusing on technology and features, and now, it is paying off.
The Dell XPS 13 is one of the best surprises that we have seen at CES, this beautifully crafted ultrathin 13-inch notebook has everything in its guts to rival (and surpass) the MacBook Air, and, according to the manufacturer, it is the only true enterprise-ready Ultrabook on the market to date.
Thanks to its edge-to-edge bonded ETE Gorilla glass display, the Dell XPS 13 offers a more compact design compared to the 13-inch MacBook Air. A hair thicker and heavier than the Apple notebook (6-18 mm vs. 3-17 mm – 2.99 pounds vs. 2.96 pounds), its smaller body (316 mm x 205 mm vs. 325 mm x 227 mm) gets a machined aluminum construction for durability.
On the performance side, the most powerful configuration boasts an Intel Core i7 2637M dual core with 4GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333 MHz, Intel HD 3000 graphics and 256GB SSD with Intel rapid Start, which is a better configuration than the current most powerful 13-inch MacBook Air that only offers a Intel Core i5 with 4GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333 MHz, Intel HD 3000 graphics and 256GB SSD.
The XPS 13 will be available at the end of February in the United States at www.Dell.com, and in select retail stores nationwide, at a starting price of $999 with an Intel Core i5 processor, 128GB SSD hard driveand 4GB memory.
On the design side, the product is amazingly crafted for aesthetics and convenience, its sleek body features carbon fiber on the back for better heat dissipation while used on the lap, and to offer lighter weight, durability and softer touch. On the inside, the magnesium alloy with soft touch finish is easy on the eye and the full size backlit keyboard with the great buttonless multi gesture trackpad deliver perfect comfort for data input. To date, it is the best trackpad that we have tried on a notebook.
- Processor: Core i5 2467M or Core i7 2637M dual core
- Memory: 4GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333 MHz
- Graphics: Intel HD 3000
- Hard Drive: 128GB SSD or 256GB SSD with Intel Rapid Start
- Display: 13.3” HD WLED, 300-nit (1366×768) 720p;
- Edge-to-edge hardened Gorilla Glass is bonded to the aluminum,
- Operating System: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate
- Wireless Connectivity: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 802.11 a/g/n with Intel Smart Connect Technology + Bluetooth 3.0
- Intel Smart Connect Technology provides instant updates for application such as calendar, email, etc. even while the laptop is closed and in sleep mode, using automated networks detection.
- Sound: High Definition Audio with Waves MaxxAudio 4
- Keyboard : Full size, backlit chiclet keyboard
- Trackpad: Seamless glass buttonless touchpad
- Webcam: 1.3MP H.264 supported webcam with dual array digital microphones
- Power: 47WHr Battery (enclosed); Up to 8hrs battery life
- Ports : USB 3.0 + USB 2.0 with PowerShare; mini DisplayPort; Headset Jack
- Preliminary Height: 0.24-0.71” (6-18mm)
- Preliminary Width: 12.4” (316mm)
- Preliminary Depth: 8.1” (205mm)
- Preliminary Starting Wt: 2.99lbs (1.4kg)
- Warranty : 1 Year Limited Hardware Warranty
For IT managers – enterprise-friendly
- Configuration Services
- Custom Imaging
- BIOS Settings
- Asset Tagging
- BitLocker Data Encryption with TPM