[CES 2012] Fujifilm is expanding its successful X-series lineup (previous models X-10 and X-100) with the addition of the Fujifilm X-S1, a long-zoom camera that features a large 2/3-inch 12 megapixel EXR CMOS and a brand new high definition fast wide angle FUJINON telephoto lens with a 26X manual zoom (24-624mm, 35 mm equivalent – F2.8 to F5.6). Additionally, the Fujifilm’s Intelligent Digital Zoom provides up to 52x total zoom, and a Super Macro Mode that captures images as close as 1cm.
Other features include extensive manual controls access, a 3-inch 460K tilting LCD display, 1080p/30 fps /H.264 video capture, High Speed Movie recording at 320 fps for slow motion restitution, RAW+JPEG shooting and 360˚ motion panorama.
The manufacturer touts the sensor as being “large” because it uses a larger sensor than the ones featured in regular compact cameras. However, the 2/3-inch sensor (also used in the X10) is smaller than the APS-C sized CMOS sensor featured in the Fujifilm FinePix X100, a sensor size used in other regular DSLR cameras.
The significantly higher price of the highly praised Fujifilm Finepix X100 ($1199.99) compared to the Fujifilm X-S1 ($799.95) can be explained by the different sensor technology choices. The X-S1 will be available in January 2012, check the key features below, for complete specifications go the Fujifilm CES 2012 page.
FUJIFILM X-S1 key features:
- Large 2/3-inch 12 MP EXR-CMOS sensor
- FUJINON 26x optical precision zoom 24-624mm (35mm equivalent) with Intelligent Digital Zoom boosting focal range up to 52x and Optical Image Stabilization
- finish with rubberized coating and metal dials
- Up to 10fps continuous shooting
- Large tilting 3-inch 460K pixel resolution LCD screen with Sunlight mode
- Large electronic viewfinder (EVF) with 1.4 million pixel resolution and 26 degree viewing angle
- Full 1080p HD movie with stereo sound
- Super Macro focusing as close as 1cm
- Raw and jpeg shooting
- Film simulation modes
- Program / Shutter-Priority / Aperture-Priority / Manual modes
- Dedicated command buttons for key functions such as ISO, white balance, focus and metering
- Lithium Ion rechargeable battery providing up to 500 shots per charge
- 360° Motion Panorama mode