WWDC will be held next month and it has been assumed that is when Apple will be introducing to the world the next major iOS update – iOS 6. So what sort of features can we expect in the next iOS build? If you have been following Apple news closely, you might recall that there has been talks of Apple possibly introducing a new map app of its own, ultimately dropping their reliance on Google Maps. This was suggested when Apple acquired C3 Technologies and thanks to 9to5 Mac’s sources, it looks like iOS 6 will be when Apple will introduce their own maps app.
Their sources have told them that the upcoming map app will see a redesign of the Maps icon that has been redrawn with a new color scheme. It will also introduce a 3D mode which you can see in the mockup to the right pictured above. This will provide users with a 3D view of buildings that have been mapped out and rendered using de-classified missile target algorithms. Pretty cool, huh? Will iOS 6 really do away with the reliance on Google Maps? Sure it has been hinted before in the past but we guess we will have to wait and see. Be sure to check back with us during WWDC for more information!
- 2013-09-25 Drivers Take Alaska Airport Taxiway As Apple Maps Leads Them Astray
- 2013-06-25 iOS 7 System Icons Preferred Over iOS 6 Icons [Poll]
- 2013-05-17 iOS Devices Now Approved For Military Use By Department Of Defense
- 2013-04-22 Download Later Option Added To iOS 6 And iTunes 11
- 2013-03-27 iOS 6.1.3 Users Report Battery Drain, Wi-Fi Connectivity Issues
- 2013-01-14 GPS Takes Elderly Woman In Wrong Direction For Over 900 Miles
- 2012-12-19 iOS 6 Adoption Grew 29 Percent Because Of Google Maps
- 2012-09-24 Apple reportedly hiring ex-Google Maps staff to help improve their Maps app
- 2012-06-01 Google to hold Google Maps event this coming June 6
- 2012-04-06 Google Maps Floor Plan Marker app released