Earlier this month, Sony Mobile India had published on its Facebook that the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update will be making its way onto the Sony Xperia P between the 19-25th of August. As it turns out they might have gotten their dates wrong as Sony has officially announced that the Android 4.0 ICS update has begun rolling out to Xperia P handsets starting from today. The rollout is expected to continue over the next couple of weeks to markets all over the world, so perhaps the 19-2th August timeframe might not be totally off after all and you probably shouldn’t fret if you haven’t received the notification yet. According to Sony, these are some of the features that Xperia P owners can look forward to in the update:
- New ways to experience your media with new media applications – “WALKMAN”, “Album” and “Movies”
- Extended standby mode, increasing standby time by up to four times (depending on user-profile and data consumption)
- Lock screen with improved functionality
- Resizable widgets for improved personalization
- Improved control of your mobile data consumption
- Recent Apps button for a clear overview of your applications
Sony has also stated that the next batch of Xperia phones that will get the update includes the Xperia U, Xperia sola and the Xperia go. No word on when that will be taking place, but if you own either device, check back with us for more updates! In the meantime, Xperia P owners who have received the update, let us know in the comments below on how it is treating you!