Apple’s Mac Mini–the least expensive way to run OS X–hasn’t been updated for over a year, and supply at 3rd-party retailers is declining. Could this mean a refresh is forthcoming? According to sources contacted by 9to5mac, Apple will announce a new version of its Mac Mini alongside the iPad Mini at their event rumored to be held on October 23d. Also rumored is a “mini” 13-inch Retina Macbook Pro. It’s a mini party!
The currently available Mac Minis are still running on Sandy Bridge processors and lack USB 3.0–it’s safe to assume that this update will fix both of those issues. Currently, the Mini is sold in three configurations: two for consumers, and a third model that runs OS X Server. The refresh just a rumor for now, but the constrained supply at places like Amazon really lends it credibility. It’s safe to say if you’re in the market for a Mac Mini, you should hold on for another week or two.
- 2014-01-22 Haswell Mac Mini Release Expected Soon
- 2013-09-26 Mac Mini Prices Increased In Some Countries
- 2013-08-27 The Mini Mac Is Both Cute And Functional
- 2012-12-26 Apple Moving Mac Mini Production To U.S. With Foxconn [Rumor]
- 2012-10-24 New Mac mini taken apart, benchmarked