We first caught wind of the Pebble smartwatch in April last year, only to hear that the cool watch will be missing its previously announced September shipping date. Well, after many months of waiting, the folks behind the Kickstarter-funded project are finally shipping its first batch to the very first backers today. Pebble also announced that its Android app will be going live on Google Play on January 24, Thursday.
However, the company says that the iOS app is not yet available in the App Store. For the moment, iOS users who receive Pebble early will be able to do notifications/ music control but will not be able to install watchfaces or upgrade to the latest Pebble OS until the app appears in the App Store.
But don’t get too excited, because only 500 units are shipping today. This is due to some units held up by documentation at the airport. Pebble also announced that its factory is manufacturing roughly 800 to 1,000 Pebbles per day. “Our job is most definitely not finished, we have lots of improvements to make, and tens of thousands of Pebbles to ship out. We will continue our biweekly updates, and as was mentioned 2 weeks ago, we’ll be issuing software updates with new features for Pebble every 2-3 weeks,” it said.
- 2014-04-13: Insurance Companies Could Subsidize iWatch, According To Analyst
- 2014-04-09: iFixit: Samsung Gear 2 Battery Easily Replaced
- 2014-04-09: iWatch Circuit Board Samples Reportedly Being Sent To Apple [Rumor]
- 2014-04-08: LG G Watch Pegged For July Release, Priced At £180
- 2014-04-08: Apple iWatch Rumored For Q3 2014 Launch
- 2014-04-03: Pebble 2.1.1 Update Unbricks The Smartwatch
- 2014-04-01: Pebble 2.1 Update Reportedly Causing Some Watches To Brick
- 2014-01-06: Pebble Steel SmartWatch with New Apps
- 2014-01-02: Pebble To Announce Something Special For CES 2014
- 2013-12-18: Pebble App Store Announced