An unnamed source who has access to the NPD Group’s numbers revealed Nintendo only sold 55,000 units of its Wii U in the US this past January. Nintendo neither confirmed nor denied that claim, and today, we’re hearing how many Wii Us the company sold in February and it isn’t looking any better.
According to video game industry analyst Michael Pachter, he believes Nintendo sold 80,000 Wii U units in February, which is exactly how many Wiis he also believes were sold in the same month. That number is nearly half of the PlayStation 3′s sales, which reached 165,000 units sold last month, and even farther behind the Xbox 360′s 225,000 units sold, all of which Pachter delivered in a research note to investors today.
We know Pachter doesn’t have these hard numbers unless NPD releases the data themselves, but there’s no doubt the Wii U is in trouble as we have yet to hear any positive news regarding the console’s sales from Nintendo in 2013. Sure – they’ve announced some games we could expect this year, but in regards to sales figures, Nintendo has been quiet lately.
Next Story: God of War: Ascension Arrives
- 2014-04-23 Ace Attorney 3DS Takes Place In Late 1800s
- 2014-04-23 Mario Kart 8 Demo Rumored For Release Ahead Of Official Game
- 2014-04-22 Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call Confirmed
- 2014-04-22 New Fatal Frame For The Wii U Being Developed
- 2014-04-21 Nintendo Game Boy Officially Turns 25 Years Old
- 2014-02-04 Wii U Will Not Be Able To Replicate Wii's Success, Admits Nintendo
- 2013-10-01 Wii U Updated To Allow Off-Screen Play For Wii Games
- 2013-09-19 'Wii Sports Club' Brings Classic Wii Sports Games To The Wii U
- 2013-09-11 The Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker HD Wasn't The Only Zelda Game Nintendo Considered For HD Remake
- 2013-09-06 Nintendo Drops Price Of Super Mario Galaxy 2 And Other Popular Wii Games