Shortly after the Samsung Galaxy S4 was announced, we’re sure there were a good majority of you who were already planning to trade in their current smartphones in preparation of its upcoming release. But it looks as though the weeks prior to the Galaxy S4′s launch was also important as it turns out a lot of you traded in your devices at that time as well.
According to SellCell.com, iPhone trade-ins specifically went up 194 percent in the month leading up to Samsung’s Galaxy S4 unveiling when compared to the month prior to the company’s Galaxy S3 launch. “Based on feedback from our partners and the news of several big product launches from HTC, BlackBerry and now Samsung, we get the feeling that the luster of the iPhone line for Apple fans may be waning a bit,” says SellCell’s managing director Colin White. “Our data bears this out as more people trade-in and search for iPhone quotes on the site than other product lines, an effect that we believe is from the introduction of new smartphones and features that iPhones don’t have.”
We realize trading in your gadgets these days is the most logical way of buying what you really want as soon as it’s released, but trading in your gadgets a month prior to the announcement of a device seems a little extreme to us. Sure – I personally have scheduled a number of gadgets to be traded in before an announcement since their price drops after the announcement is made. But if it turns out to be something I wouldn’t want to buy, like upgrading from my 3rd-generation iPad to the fourth generation, then I’ll cancel my order and keep my stuff.
- 2014-04-15: Samsung Galaxy S5 Fingerprint Scanner Spoofed
- 2014-04-15: Samsung Patent Reveals Earphone With Heads Up Display
- 2014-04-15: Galaxy S5 Costs $256 To Build, According To IHS Teardown
- 2014-04-14: Gear Fit Compatible With Non-Samsung Devices
- 2014-04-14: Apple Staffer Shamed By Judge For Using iPhone In Court
- 2013-06-26: Samsung Lures iPhone 5 Owners To Galaxy S4 With Smart Switch App
- 2013-06-05: Samsung Outsells Apple In U.S. Thanks To Galaxy S4 [Analyst]
- 2013-05-08: Samsung Galaxy S4 Now Available At Staples
- 2013-04-10: Survey Indicates Samsung Galaxy Is Simpler To Use Than iPhone
- 2013-03-18: Apple Educates Potential Galaxy S4 Adopters Why People Love The iPhone