Just a year after introducing the Android version of Instagram, it is interesting to take note that nearly 50% of the entire user base of Instagram happen to use Google’s Android operating system, too. This interesting statistic was revealed as part of the first birthday celebrations of Instagram on Android, and that would mean nearly 50 million of the 100 million monthly active users are rocking on to Android-powered devices.
Philip McAllister, an Instagram engineer, said, “Instagram for Android has helped make this community more global than ever. Major events such as Brazil’s Círio de Nazaré festival, the 85th birthday of Thailand’s King Bhumibol, and a streak of severe thunderstorms throughout Malaysia have been captured by Android Instagrammers and shared to global audiences like never before.”
Instagram for Android will basically play nice with any camera phone with Android running version 2.2 (Froyo) or above, and will support OpenGL ES 2, too. It is right now available as a free download in the Google Play store.
Next Story: Samsung Robot Comes With Siri-like Features
- 2014-04-21: Leaked Android Dialer App Screenshot Shows Slight Makeover
- 2014-04-21: Apple And Google Reportedly Vying For Mobile Game Exclusives
- 2014-04-20: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Makes Its Way Onto Android
- 2014-04-18: Chuwi Cloned Lenovo’s Android-Powered Yoga Tablets
- 2014-04-17: Galaxy S5 Review
- 2014-03-11: Instagram Aims For Growth In Emerging Markets With New Android Update
- 2013-05-02: Instagram Rolls Out Photo Tagging Feature For iPhone, Android Users
- 2013-03-19: Sideloaded Instagram On BlackBerry Z10? Don't Sign Out!
- 2012-12-10: Instagram Updates iOS, Android App With Improved Camera, Foursquare Integration
- 2012-07-16: Instagram for Android gets updated with Nexus 7 support and Flickr sharing