It is more or less expected that Apple will be announcing the iPhone 5S later this year, which based on the previous releases in the past will most likely be an iPhone 5 with some incremental upgrades and nothing too major. Thanks to a new rumor, it would seem as though that Sharp is expected to begin ramping up their production of the iPhone 5S’ displays starting next month, suggesting that the phone could see a release later in the year, likely around the same time as the iPhone 5. This seems to contradict earlier rumors which suggested that the device could be revealed at WWDC 2013 which is taking place in the middle of the year.
Of course it is also possible that Sharp is not the main display supplier for Apple, and that they might simply be ramping up production to help ease the load of other manufacturers in order to ensure the phone is ready on time for customers to purchase. As is with most Apple rumors, it’s best taken with a grain of salt for now, but with WWDC taking place next month, we guess we won’t have to wait too long to find out if the iPhone 5S will be making its debut then.
- 2014-04-17: Trade-In Site Sees One Third Of Galaxy S5 Buyers Switching From iPhone
- 2014-04-15: Galaxy S5 Versus HTC One M8, iPhone 5s, Nexus 5 In Torture Test
- 2014-04-07: Sharp Aquos Xx 302Sh Packed To The Brim With Features
- 2014-04-03: Galaxy S5 Versus iPhone 5s In Biometrics Test
- 2014-03-17: Asphaleia Jailbreak Tweak Lets You Use Touch ID To Protect Your Apps
- 2014-03-13: iPhone 5c's Disappointing Performance Seen In China As Well