BlackBerry has made a couple of interesting announcements today and none of them are related to its much rumored sale. The company finally unveiled its first phablet, the BlackBerry Z30 has now been announced and it is going to hit shelves in the near future. Other than that, the release timeframe for Blackberry OS 10.2 has also been revealed. BlackBerry says that the update is going to be released for all BB10 powered devices in October.
The Z30 is actually the first device that comes with BB OS 10.2 pre-installed. Other devices, there are three at the moment, will begin receiving the update next month. Though for some customers the wait might be longer since firmware updates are subject to carrier approval. BlackBerry OS 10.2 update is expected to bring a number of changes. System performance is said to be improved, Android Runtime has apparently been updated to support Jelly Bean apps as well. A new “Priority” section in BlackBerry Hub is rumored as well, actionable notifications and lock screen notifications are said to be present as well. A new default wallpaper, quick settings menu and dedicated icon for BlackBerry Hub on the home screen are also rumored. Despite revealing the timeframe, BlackBerry has not given an exact date on which it will begin to roll out BB OS 10.2.
Next Story: iTunes 11.1 Released, iTunes Radio Is Now Live
- 2014-04-16: BlackBerry 10.2.1 Software Update Hits Q10 And Z10
- 2014-04-15: BlackBerry And NantHealth Team Up For Healthcare-Specific Smartphone
- 2014-04-15: BlackBerry Will Shift Focus To High-End QWERTY Handsets
- 2014-04-14: BlackBerry Security Patches For iOS And Android BBM Apps To Prevent Heartbleed Exploits
- 2014-04-14: BlackBerry Pushing For Immediate Ban Of Typo Keyboard Sales
- 2013-12-22: AT&T Compatible BlackBerry Z30 Shows Up At The FCC
- 2013-10-28: Verizon BlackBerry Z30 Launches This November For $199 On Contract
- 2013-10-27: Verizon BlackBerry Z30 Render Leaked
- 2013-10-10: Rogers Decides To Sell The BlackBerry Z30 After All
- 2013-09-16: BlackBerry Z30 Allegedly Launching In Asia Next Week