The most hotly anticipated console game of this season is without a doubt Rockstar’s Grand Theft Auto 5. Only yesterday we reported that GTA 5 had earned a staggering $800 million on the first day alone. This incredible feat made it the fastest selling video game around the world. The game has smashed yet another record, it is now the fastest title to earn $1 billion. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 holds the previous record, it crossed the billion market 15 days after its release. GTA 5 has done it in just three days.
Take-Two Interactive, the publisher of Grand Theft Auto 5, made this announcement today through an official statement, though it hasn’t revealed exactly how many copies have been sold. GTA 5 is currently only available on PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360, though a petition to have it brought over to the PC is quickly gaining steam. Take-Two believes that this is “the fastest that any entertainment property, including video games and feature films, has reached this significant milestone.” It goes without saying that GTA 5 will bring in a lot of money, the initial launch frenzy may have died down but the game is going to continue selling like hot cakes. Lets see how long it takes Grand Theft Auto 5 to rake another billion dollars.
- 2014-04-16: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Trailer Recreated In GTA 5
- 2014-04-08: Grand Theft Auto V On PC, Xbox One And PS4 This June (Rumor)
- 2014-03-18: GTA 5 For PC Beta Test Emails Are Fake And Contain Malware
- 2014-03-02: Skyfall Train Fight Scene Created In GTA 5
- 2014-02-27: Mobster's Daughter Alleges GTA 5 Used Her Story And Likeness Without Her Permission
- 2013-09-16: Grand Theft Auto iFruit Companion App For iOS Released
- 2012-11-02: Grand Theft Auto 5 leaked promotional materials give away some of the locations within the game
- 2012-10-25: Rockstar unveils first official Grand Theft Auto 5 artwork
- 2012-10-19: Rockstar launches official Grand Theft Auto 5 Facebook page
- 2011-03-22: Grand Theft Auto V Confirmed by Gilbert Gottfried, But For What Consoles?