Gamers probably know by now that the upcoming Microsoft Xbox One console is priced $100 more than Sony’s PlayStation 4, which Microsoft seems to believe is worth the extra $100. However even if Microsoft thinks the Xbox One is worth $100 more than the PlayStation 4, it does not mean that gamers agree and Microsoft’s Yusef Mehdi has since come forward to defend the Xbox One’s price tag, claiming that with the inclusion of the Kinect and the console’s other features that it definitely has more value than its competitors.
During this week’s Citi Global Technology Conference, Mehdi was quoted as saying, “We wanted something to really differentiate that lets you play games as if you’re playing movies and we wanted to break the barrier of being able to voice control your television. So to do that, we added a lot of capability. For $499, we think the value we provide for that is a very good deal. We feel that we’ve done the right balance.”
Mehdi went on to state that Microsoft expects to make a “low margin” on the Xbox One at the start, rather than a loss which is a common scenario when a new product launches as companies will need to recoup the money spent on R&D, marketing, and etc. What do you guys think? Do you agree the Xbox One holds more value than the PS4?
- 2014-04-14: Microsoft Product Codenames Leaked For June-July Release
- 2014-04-14: Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview Could Be Released Today [Rumor]
- 2014-04-13: Microsoft Looks Into 3D Face Scanner Using Windows Phone Handset
- 2014-04-13: IRS Reportedly Paying Microsoft Millions For Extended Windows XP Support
- 2014-04-11: Microsoft Research Shows Off Interactive Live Tiles
- 2014-04-07: Xbox One YouTube App Will Now Support Uploads
- 2014-04-07: Xbox One Original Shows To Feature Interactive Elements
- 2014-04-06: Microsoft Reportedly Working On New Xbox One Controller Update
- 2014-04-06: Support For Xbox One External Game Storage Coming Soon
- 2014-04-04: Xbox One Security Flaw Discovered By 5-Year Old