We know that BlackBerry is looking to sell itself to the highest bidder, and while they might have signed a letter of intent with Fairfax Financial, it has not stopped them from shopping for alternatives. There have been many players named so far, such a BlackBerry’s own founder himself, Apple’s ex-CEO John Sculley, and BlackBerry has even approached the likes of Google, Intel, and Samsung to talk about possibly bidding for their company. Well the latest report comes from The Wall Street Journal who claims that BlackBerry executives had reportedly flown to California last week to meet up with Facebook to talk potential bids, although it is unclear if Facebook is receptive to the idea or not.
There have been many rumors suggesting that Facebook is looking to build their own smartphone in the past, and acquiring BlackBerry would definitely give them the resources to do so. Facebook’s CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, has denied in the past that Facebook would be doing such a thing, stating that it would be the wrong strategy for the social network. Given that previous Facebook phone attempts, like the HTC First, weren’t exactly hits, we’re not sure if Facebook would like to go down that path again. Either way take it with a grain of salt for now but BlackBerry sure is shopping pretty hard and at this rate, we’re not sure if they will be able to close a deal by November like they had originally intended.
Next Story: Nikon DF Announcement Rumored For 5th November
- 2014-04-14: BlackBerry Security Patches For iOS And Android BBM Apps To Prevent Heartbleed Exploits
- 2014-04-14: BlackBerry Pushing For Immediate Ban Of Typo Keyboard Sales
- 2014-04-13: BlackBerry Windermere Concept Case Renders Surface
- 2014-04-11: T-Mobile Offering BlackBerry Users $200 To "Upgrade" To Samsung
- 2014-04-10: BlackBerry CEO Optimistic That Handset Business Will Be Profitable By 2015
- 2013-10-29: BlackBerry Reportedly Courting Facebook For A Buyout Bid
- 2013-08-06: Facebook 10.2.1 Update For BlackBerry 10 Devices
- 2013-06-11: Facebook 10.2.0 For BlackBerry Announced
- 2012-12-05: Facebook For BlackBerry 3.3 Now Available
- 2012-09-25: BlackBerry 10 has native Facebook app, Twitter and LinkedIn in tow as well