We know that there are certain establishments where Google Glass is banned, such as casinos for obvious reasons, but what about while driving? Is it considered illegal to drive while sporting a pair of Google Glass? Well it turns out that while the authorities are still debating as to whether it is considered illegal, Glass Explorer, Cecilia Abade, was recently given a ticket for driving while wearing Google Glass. There are a couple of laws here that are being debated, with one of them being V C Section 27602 Television which states that:
A person shall not drive a motor vehicle if a television receiver, a video monitor, or a television or video screen, or any other similar means of visually displaying a television broadcast or video signal that produces entertainment or business applications, is operating and is located in the motor vehicle at a point forward of the back of the driver’s seat, or is operating and the monitor, screen, or display is visible to the driver while driving the motor vehicle.
Given that Google Glass does act as a video monitor/screen and is able to broadcast a video signal that produces entertainment or business applications, technically it would seem that Abade was in violation of that rule. However there are a list of exceptions to that rule:
A visual display used to enhance or supplement the driver’s view forward, behind, or to the sides of a motor vehicle for the purpose of maneuvering the vehicle.
In this case one could argue that Google Glass was used as a means of navigation, thus supplementing the driver’s view. In any case since Google Glass is the first of its kind, at least to make it into the mainstream, which is why there is still uncertainty about the matter. Will this ticket act as a precedent for future fines? We guess we will have to let the authorities sort this one out, but what do you guys think?
- 2014-04-21: Google Glass SMS iPhone Support Coming Soon
- 2014-04-17: Major Record Labels Hit Pandora With Copyright Infringement Lawsuit
- 2014-04-17: Home Try-On Program For Google Glass Launched
- 2014-04-16: Book Hotels Through Google Glass Using The Starwood App
- 2014-04-15: Buy Google Glass Today In The U.S.
- 2014-04-13: Surgeon Finds Google Glass Indispensable In His Work
- 2014-01-29: Seven States Look To Ban Google Glass On The Road
- 2014-01-16: Court Dismisses Google Glass Driving Ticket
- 2013-11-28: Seattle Restaurant Ejects Patron For Wearing Google Glass