Sony is known for its Android powered smartphones, and it released a number of devices in 2013 that received rave reviews. The company hasn’t said anything about its smartphone plans for 2014 but rumor has it that Sony might release a Windows Phone powered smartphone in 2014. The device is expected around mid-2014, no technical specifications have been leaked as yet.
This rumor comes from The Information which claims to have heard from a person that has knowledge of Sony’s plans. It also claims that in order to bring more manufacturers on board, Microsoft is reaching out to potential OEMs and even thinking of cutting licensing costs to sweeten the deal. Sony’s entrance in the Windows Phone market might serve the platform well as it looks to increase its global market share to close up to Android and iOS, the company has only made Android devices for quite some time now. With Nokia’s hardware business almost under its belt, Microsoft effectively bought the largest WP vendor, a deal that was rumored have caused concerns for other OEMs that currently manufacture WP devices. However the company clearly wants to keep working with other OEMs as well, China’s ZTE and India’s XOLO have already hopped onboard to develop their own WP smartphones which will also be released in 2014.
- 2014-04-15: God Of War Collection Arriving For The PS Vita
- 2014-04-15: Mysterious Sony D6603 Spotted In Screenshot
- 2014-04-15: WP 8.1 GDR2 Update Could Support 2K Displays And Snapdragon 805 [Rumor]
- 2014-04-14: Windows Phone 8.1 Preview Version Revealed
- 2014-04-14: Sony Xperia Z2 Pre-Orders Reopened In Europe
- 2014-04-14: Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview Could Be Released Today [Rumor]
- 2014-04-11: Sony Vaio Fit 11A Recall Because Of Battery Overheating Risk
- 2014-04-11: Sony Unveils H1Z1, Upcoming Zombie MMO Title
- 2014-04-08: Sony Windows Phone Device Expected This July
- 2014-01-10: Sony Could Develop Windows Phone Handsets In The Future