Sony is known for its Android powered smartphones, and it released a number of devices in 2013 that received rave reviews. The company hasn’t said anything about its smartphone plans for 2014 but rumor has it that Sony might release a Windows Phone powered smartphone in 2014. The device is expected around mid-2014, no technical specifications have been leaked as yet.
This rumor comes from The Information which claims to have heard from a person that has knowledge of Sony’s plans. It also claims that in order to bring more manufacturers on board, Microsoft is reaching out to potential OEMs and even thinking of cutting licensing costs to sweeten the deal. Sony’s entrance in the Windows Phone market might serve the platform well as it looks to increase its global market share to close up to Android and iOS, the company has only made Android devices for quite some time now. With Nokia’s hardware business almost under its belt, Microsoft effectively bought the largest WP vendor, a deal that was rumored have caused concerns for other OEMs that currently manufacture WP devices. However the company clearly wants to keep working with other OEMs as well, China’s ZTE and India’s XOLO have already hopped onboard to develop their own WP smartphones which will also be released in 2014.
- 2014-04-21: Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet Goes On Sale In The U.S.
- 2014-04-21: Sony Pictures Register BioShock Movie Domains
- 2014-04-20: Sony Patents Self-Washing Robot
- 2014-04-20: Sony Xperia Z Ultra Google Play Edition To Get Android 4.4.3 KitKat (Rumor)
- 2014-04-17: Cortana Is Off-Limits To Users Aged Below 13 Years Old
- 2014-04-17: Next PlayStation Might Be Service Oriented
- 2014-04-16: Users Report Cortana Having Problems Setting Alarms
- 2014-04-15: WP 8.1 GDR2 Update Could Support 2K Displays And Snapdragon 805 [Rumor]
- 2014-04-08: Sony Windows Phone Device Expected This July
- 2014-01-10: Sony Could Develop Windows Phone Handsets In The Future