Advertisements are a major source of revenue for Facebook. There are a wide variety of options that potential advertisers can choose from, Page owners can pay Facebook to increase the visibility of their posts, while advertisers can even run ads on the world’s largest social network to direct traffic to external websites. Its ad platform is working very well inside the social network, but what if it was let loose on the outside? That’s exactly what is Facebook is testing at a small scale right now. The company is using its own ad serving platform, as opposed to an outside platform, to deliver ads to third-party mobile applications.
Facebook says that this test is limited to a few partners and advertisers, and that its not looking for additional participants at this point in time. The company says that this test is more like a “mobile ad network,” which is being put through its paces in a small scale test, extending Facebook’s targeting mechanisms to increase reach for Facebook advertisers, help developers make more money from their apps and also increase the relevancy of ads that end users see in said mobile apps. Facebook hasn’t named its partners, and has also not revealed exactly what sort of data it is going to use for targeting advertisements. There might be some outcry by privacy advocates on this, but we’ll have to wait and see if Facebook’s mobile ad network ambitions ever turn into a full-fledged revenue stream for the company.
Next Story: Send And Receive Snapchats On Mac With Snapped
- 2014-04-14: Google Picks Up Titan Aerospace Before Facebook Can
- 2014-04-14: Facebook Reportedly Working On An E-Money Service
- 2014-04-10: Facebook Makes Improvements To Reduce News Feed Spam
- 2014-04-10: FTC Clears Facebook/WhatsApp Deal, Must Honor Privacy Obligations
- 2014-04-09: Facebook To Remove In-App Messaging, Forces Users To Download Messenger App
- 2013-06-19: Facebook Video Ads Delayed Until Fall 2013 [Report]
- 2013-05-29: Companies Pull Ad Campaigns From Facebook
- 2012-12-18: Facebook Preparing To Launch Video Ads Within News Feeds By April 2013
- 2011-08-04: Is Facebook thinking about injecting ads directly into your news feed?
- 2011-02-11: Google not invited to Facebook's party