CES is a time where companies show off their latest products and technological innovations, an this year ASUS had an interesting device called the Transformer Book Duet which was a tablet that not only could run Windows, but could dual boot to Android if the user chose to. It certainly seems to address the problem that some customers have when deciding if they should get a Windows tablet or an Android one, unless money isn’t an issue and you can just get both. Rarely is that the case as this is one of the technological innovations that Intel is quite proud of, where during their Intel CES keynote speech, the company’s CEO revealed their plans to promote additional products that could dual boot both Windows and Android at the same time.
Is this our one-size-fits-all solution? For some yes it would, but for others, namely Lenovo, they don’t seem overly enthused about Intel’s plans. Speaking to VentureBeat, Lenovo’s North American president Jay Parker revealed that he wasn’t overly convinced about Intel’s plans. According to Parker, “I don’t see it [Intel's Android on Windows plan] as being a mass-market opportunity in the near- or maybe even long-term […] I believe the market can support multiple operating systems and ecosystems.” As it stands Lenovo has a whole host of products running Microsoft’s Windows platform, but at the same time are promoting their Android products as well, meaning that by combining platforms and thus selling less products, it would seem as though there really isn’t much to be gained.
What do you guys think of Intel’s plans for dual booting devices in the future? Are you enamoured by the idea of a single product that can run multiple platforms, or would you rather have a dedicated product for a single platform instead?
- 2014-04-16: Possible Redesigned Google+ App For Android Spotted
- 2014-04-15: Google Glass Android 4.4 KitKat Update Arrives
- 2014-04-15: Line Messaging App Announces New Sticons Feature
- 2014-04-13: Google Redesigning Android App Icons [Rumor]
- 2014-04-10: Age Of Empires: World Domination Greets iOS, Android And Windows Phone Platforms This Year
- 2014-01-19: 64-Bit Android Tablets Expected By Next Quarter
- 2014-01-05: Lenovo N308 AIO Android Desktop System Announced
- 2014-01-02: Lenovo Announces S930 And S650 Android Smartphones
- 2013-10-20: Lenovo A10 Android Laptop Announced
- 2013-10-13: Lenovo Acknowledges Existence Of Its Android Laptop