Earlier this week the much awaited HBO Go app for the Sony PlayStation 3 was released. The app allows people to watch all current and past episodes of HBO’s shows as well as a plethora of movies through their console. As you would imagine, an internet connection is required to stream those episodes, and Comcast Xfinity subscribers have struck out quite badly. It turns out that Comcast isn’t letting subscribers stream content through HBO Go for PlayStation, so the only option they have right now is to go with another provider, if they want to use HBO GO for PS3.
Comcast is certainly one of the biggest providers not to be on board with this, even Time Warner Cable is on board, and Comcast is hoping to acquire it if its bid isn’t held up by red tape. When Sony was contacted about this, it redirected the query to Comcast PR as it isn’t able to comment on the provider’s authentication policies and supported devices, seems fair enough.
On the other hand, Comcast wasn’t so forthcoming about when it would start supporting HBO Go for PlayStation 3. In a statement provided to The Verge, Comcast says that with every new website, device or player it authenticates, it has to “work through technical integration and customer service which takes time and resources.” The company further added that moving forward, it will continue to prioritize as it partners with various players. There’s not much you can get from that statement if you’re looking for a timeframe. Time to play the wait and see game.
Next Story: Apple's Request For Samsung Phone Ban Denied
- 2014-04-16: Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition Arriving This May 16th
- 2014-04-14: Netflix Speeds On Comcast See Massive Improvement
- 2014-04-11: Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn Allows PS3 Users To Upgrade For Free To PS4
- 2014-04-10: Comcast Wi-Fi Phone Service Rumored
- 2014-04-09: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Announced For PS3
- 2014-03-31: Minecraft PS3 Update Delivers New Features Like Zombie Villagers
- 2014-03-26: Minecraft TU14 Update Arrives On Xbox 360 Today, PS3 Tomorrow
- 2012-04-04: HBO Go to arrive on Xbox 360 via Comcast