Over the past few months we had been hearing a lot about the next major Windows Phone update and last week Microsoft finally unveiled it at the BUILD 2014 conference. Now the update won’t make its way into users’ hands until summer, but already hints of what we can expect from Windows Phone 8.2 have been provided by someone claiming to be a 15-year veteran at Redmond. Since its quite easy to pretend to be something you’re not on the internet, its best to take this information with a grain of salt.
The source claims on Reddit that from now on Windows Phone software update cycles will be sped up with feature updates being released every 6-8 months. Major OS updates may drop every year, or two at most. He claims that Windows Phone 8.2, or WP9, will launch in 8-10 months. When asked what we can expect from this update, the source replied “OMFG you are going to pop a boner,” whatever that means.
Apparently the next update will give Inner Circle members the ability to bypass a user’s Do Not Disturb mode through text message. The mode basically doesn’t notify the user when there’s a new text, incoming call or any other notification. But if a certain password is used in the text message, that particular message would go through. So if it says “knock, knock” in the text message for example, the user will be notified.
Additional hints include possibility of support for video services other than Skype, no possibility of being able to change default SMS app until at least Windows Phone 8.2 and that Facebook is working on a new native application for the platform.
The source has since deleted his Reddit account, that may serve as an indicator that all this could land him in hot water at Microsoft. Nevertheless, one can’t be too sure of what some anonymous person writes on the internet. For now, we make peace with Windows Phone 8.1.
Next Story: BlackBerry's Market Share In Canada Slips To 15%
- 2014-04-11: Microsoft Research Shows Off Interactive Live Tiles
- 2014-04-10: Age Of Empires: World Domination Greets iOS, Android And Windows Phone Platforms This Year
- 2014-04-10: Microsoft Surface Mini Could Be Marketed As A Note Taking Device [Rumor]
- 2014-04-10: Chinese State Media Calls Microsoft Irresponsible For Ending Windows XP Support
- 2014-04-10: Microsoft Updates Bing Windows Phone Apps, Removes "Bing" From Their Titles, Too
- 2014-04-08: Sony Windows Phone Device Expected This July
- 2014-04-07: Microsoft Reveals Why Their Low-End Devices Do So Well
- 2014-04-07: At least 2 Windows Phone 8.1 GDR Updates Expected This Year [Rumor]
- 2014-04-07: Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview Coming 'First Part Of April'