When it comes to performing search on the iPhone or iOS products, Google is usually set as the default search engine. We’re sure if Apple had their own search engine, they’d probably use it, but given that Google is one of the bigger names at the moment, it is understandable why they chose them over competitors like Yahoo.
Yahoo’s presence in iOS devices is pretty much limited to the native Weather and Stocks apps, but apparently Yahoo’s Marissa Mayer is working on two internal projects that will apparently attempt to convince Apple to make the default search Yahoo and not Google.
This is according to a report from Re/code who states that Mayer is preparing detailed presentations to Apple’s executives to show them what their new mobile search product could look like. We’re not sure what Yahoo could do to convince Apple to change the default search on Safari to Yahoo, but it has supposedly managed to attract the attention of Apple’s SVP of design, Jony Ive.
Like we said earlier, Yahoo’s presence on iOS is somewhat limited. This is compared to Google which is Safari’s default search, and Microsoft’s Bing search engine which is used to help power web searches used by Apple’s voice assistant feature, Siri. Re/code states that the deal between Apple and Yahoo has yet to be finalized.
In fact Apple has yet to be pitched on the idea, but it’s definitely something that Yahoo is working towards. In the meantime how do you guys feel about the idea? Would you like to see Yahoo become your iPhone’s default search?
Next Story: Kitestring App Aims To Help You Get Home Safe
- 2014-04-22 iTunes App Store Now Labels Apps With In-App Purchases
- 2014-04-22 Jailbroken iOS Devices Vulnerable To Apple ID And Password Stealing Malware
- 2014-04-21 Apple And Google Reportedly Vying For Mobile Game Exclusives
- 2014-04-20 Facebook Paper App For iOS Updated
- 2014-04-20 Beats Music Embraces In-App Subscriptions To Drive Subscriber Base
- 2013-10-09 Flickr iOS 7 App Automatically Uploads Full Resolution Photos
- 2013-09-18 Yahoo Updates iOS App
- 2013-07-26 Yahoo's Fantasy Football iOS, Android Apps Now Support Live Drafts
- 2011-06-16 Yahoo! AppSpot helps you find apps on your iOS and Android phone
- 2011-03-11 Yahoo resolves IMAP mail issues with iPhone and Windows Phone 7 devices