The next version of the iPhone (temporarily dubbed the iPhone 5) will not make it for the June/July release date as originally expected, at least according to an AT&T customer representative. This statement came about after one customer realized that his eligibility for a subsidized upgrade has been pushed back by more than 5 months – and decided to contact AT&T for an explanation. According to the representative, “Apple has informed us that they do not plan to release the iPhone in the June to July timeframe, though there will be a newer version in the future.”
Guess that’s that, so without an official release time for a new phone, the huddling masses will just have to wait at the moment. The claim though, might be considered to be dubious for some since customer representatives are rarely, if ever, provided with such high level information right before a formal announcement is made. On the other hand, it could potentially be a necessary piece of knowledge that has been circulated internally.
What do you think of the entire shebang – will the iPhone 5 make it in the middle of this year or not? It is more or less about time, but if Apple misses the mid-year update, then they would certainly have quite the battle on their hands since its rivals would have come up with superior hardware (and software) by then.
- 2014-04-16: Alleged iPhone Case "Confirms" Repositioned Buttons
- 2014-04-15: Apple Participates In Smartphone Anti-Theft Voluntary Program
- 2014-04-15: Alleged iPhone 6 Batteries Spotted On Production Tray
- 2014-04-15: Alleged iPhone 6 Front Panel Photo Surfaces
- 2014-04-14: More Alleged iPhone 6 Molds Surface, Hints At 4.7-inch Display
- 2013-01-28: Budget iPhone Could Be A Frankenstein Phone Borrowing From iPhone 5, iPod Touch [Rumor]
- 2013-01-22: Verizon Activates Over 6 Million iPhones In Q4 2012
- 2012-12-19: Humor: Apple Releases iPhone 5C With Broken Screen For College-Aged Girls
- 2012-12-03: iPhone 5 Heading Out To More Countries This Month
- 2012-09-17: iPhone 5 benchmark: narrowly beats Galaxy S3 [geekbench]