When it comes to smartphones these days, you have users who believe in a true and full touch screen experience, unwilling to add weight or thickness to their device with a keyboard. On the other end of the spectrum you have users who believe in having a physical keyboard along with the touch screen experience and who will only consider smartphones with a keyboard.
If you’re looking forward to the slew of upcoming Windows Phone 7 handsets, you will be interested to hear that there is a rumored Samsung device, the i677 to be exact, which will come with a physical QWERTY keyboard. The rumors are based on the history of Samsung i6 devices which all ran on Windows and featured physical keyboards as well.
Unfortunately not much else is known about the Samsung i677 and whether it will stick to its previous candy-bar designs with a keyboard in the front, much like a Blackberry, or whether it will go with the slide-out keyboard route like the Dell Venue Pro. However if the rumors are to be believed, it’s probably good news for fans of physical keyboards. Until then I guess we will have to wait and find out.
- 2014-03-13: Nokia Power Keyboard Now Available On AT&T And Verizon
- 2014-02-13: Sony Vegas Pro Keyboard Launched
- 2013-09-24: Gyration Announces New Keyboards
- 2013-09-03: World's Thinnest Keyboard Measures In At Under Half A Millimeter Thick
- 2013-09-02: The Keyboard As You Know It Could Be Rendered Obsolete
- 2011-11-30: AT&T Dell Venue Pro Mango update finally arrives
- 2011-10-28: Windows Phone Mango heads for virtually all devices
- 2011-10-21: Windows Phone Mango keyboard bug solution found?
- 2011-10-19: Windows Phone Mango update available to "nearly everyone"
- 2011-10-17: Windows Phone Mango causes some keyboards to disappear