Valve sure is generous when it comes to giving out goodies to the gaming community. After recently making its well-loved team multiplayer game, Team Fortress 2, a free to play game – it turns out that they’re not done yet. The company has just announced that the Source SDK will soon become free to use in its entirety for everyone.
For those of you who have no idea what the Source SDK is, it’s basically everything you need to make your own mods or games using the Source engine. Previously in order to gain access to the SDK, users had to purchase a game that runs on the Source engine, i.e. Half Life 2 or Team Fortress 2. Now, without the need to even purchase a Source-based game, everyone can have access to the tools.
While there hasn’t been an announced ETA for the free Source SDK, Valva has mentioned that it is working on getting it all done – there are currently a few versions of the SDK available, so they need to sort it out first. Stay tuned for more details. Any of you planning to create your own Source mod/game now that you know the SDK is going to be free?RELATED
- YouTube Gaming Channels Received Copyright Violation Warnings
- Crytek To Release "The Collectables" Mobile Game
- Digital Storm Teases Steam Machine For CES 2014
- EA Faces Potential Lawsuit Over Battlefield 4
- Steam Machines Shipping To 300 Beta Testers On December 13
- Follow: free, sdk, valve,
- Seen at: rockpapershotgun