I am sure that most will be familiar about the news where Apple managed to get an injunction against Samsung in most of the EU, thus preventing the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 from being sold for now. Naturally Samsung was a bit miffed about this, and thanks to what appears to be the evidence Apple used against Samsung, we now know why.
Apple is claiming that Samsung had infringed upon its patents, especially in terms of design for their smartphones and tablets, although as we had mentioned before, tablets are meant to display information so it’s hard to imagine how far one can stray from a typical rectangular shaped design.
As you can see in the image above, at a quick glance, apart from their platform and what they’re currently displaying, you may mistake both devices to be the same, and according to Dutch news site (the ones who got their hands on the image), WebWereld, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 was actually modified to make it look similar to the iPad 2 in terms of dimension. The iPad has an aspect ratio of 1.3 while the Tab 10.1 has an aspect ratio of 1.46, but apparently the modified image has given the Tab 10.1 an aspect ratio of 1.36, bringing it closer to the iPad 2’s dimensions.
Supposedly this was the evidence that Apple had provided the court in Germany, and which was what the court had used to base its decision on as well. Galaxy Tab 10.1 owners can probably attest to the fact that the Tab 10.1 does not look like the iPad 2 in any way. Apple is probably smart enough not to attempt to lie to the court, which in the end will just end up hurting their case.
Neither the court nor Apple had commented regarding this issue, but what do you guys think?
Next Story: HTC bootloader unlocking web tool released
- 2014-04-16: AT&T Galaxy S4 Active Android 4.4 Update Released
- 2014-04-16: Samsung Android Wear Smartwatch Expected Later This Year
- 2014-04-16: Samsung Shows Off Curved Batteries Used In The Gear Fit
- 2014-04-16: High-End Samsung Tizen Device To Arrive By End Of Q2 2014
- 2014-04-15: Know Your Samsung Gear Compatibility
- 2011-12-15: Samsung Galaxy Tab is "The tablet Apple tried to stop."
- 2011-09-30: Samsung offers Apple a deal to let them sell the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Australia
- 2011-09-20: Galaxy Tab 8.9 Unavailable on Amazon Germany
- 2011-09-12: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 still being sold in Germany due to legal loophole
- 2011-09-09: Apple gets Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 permanently banned in Germany