Panasonic is updating its ToughBook S9 model with the release of the ToughBook S10, a 12.1-inch business-rugged notebook that weights only 3 lbs with an integrated DVD drive. The next-gen device offers a faster processor (Intel Core i5-2520M vPro™ -2.5GHz), USB 3.0 and 2.0 support, enhanced battery life (12.5 hours standard, impressive!) and increased RAM (4GB expandable to 8 GB) compared to the S9.
Business-rugged means that the S10 can survive a 30-inch drop to the base of the unit while operating, thanks to its magnesium alloy case and shock-mounted flex-connect hard drive. Additionally, it is 220 lbs compression resistant, and has a spill-resistant keyboard/touchpad (6 ounce/200cc spills).
Like all the models in the ToughBook lineup, it features an optional Gobi 2000 3G mobile broadband to allow connectivity anywhere.
If you really need a tough notebook with enhanced connectivity, you have to be ready to pay the price, the Panasonic ToughBook S10 will be available in September 2011 for a starting price of $2,449. The Toughbook S10 is backed with a three-year limited warranty, parts and labor.
Check out the detailed specifications provided by the manufacturer after the jump.
Panasonic Toughbook S10 – Select Features and Specifications
• Genuine Windows 7 Professional (32-bit or 64-bit)
• Intel Core i5-2520M vPro Processor (2.5GHz)
- Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
- Intel Smart Cache 3MB
• 320GB 5400rpm shock-mounted flex-connect hard drive
• 4-8GB RAM
• 12.1” widescreen WXGA (1280 x 800) LCD display with LED backlighting
• Anti-glare screen treatment
• 12.5 hours of battery life with standard battery (MobileMark 2007)
• 3.0 lbs.
• DVD drive
• HDMI and VGA video outputs
• Magnesium alloy case
- 30” operating drop (to base only)
- 26 sides 12” drop (non-operating)
- 220 lb compression-resistant
-Spill-resistant keyboard/touchpad (protects against 6 ounce spills)
• Embedded Connectivity
- Optional Gobi 2000 3G mobile broadband
- Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 802.11a/b/g/n
- Bluetooth v2.1 + EDR (class 2)
• Integrated Security Features
- Cable lock slot
- Trusted platform module (TPM) security chip v.1.2
- Computrace® theft protection agent in BIOS®
- Intel Anti-Theft technology
- Optional fingerprint reader
• 11.1” (H) x 8.3” (W) x 0.9-1.5” (D)
- 2014-03-24: Panasonic HX-A500 4K Wearable Camera Coming This May
- 2014-03-10: Sony And Panasonic Announce New "Archival Disc" Storage Medium
- 2014-03-09: Panasonic Lumix GH4 Ships This April For $1,700
- 2014-03-09: Panasonic Toughpad 4K UT-MB5 Could Start Shipping Soon
- 2014-03-07: Panasonic P31 Launched In India, Still In The Smartphone Game
- 2012-05-31: Dell Latitude E6430 ATG
- 2011-11-07: Panasonic ToughPad Android-Powered Rugged Tablet
- 2011-07-12: Panasonic ToughBook H2 Rugged Tablet Computer
- 2011-05-10: Panasonic Toughbook 53 announced
- 2010-02-10: Panasonic Toughbook H1 Field - Rugged Tablet PC