When it comes to electric vehicles (EVs), Panasonic is a name most people associate with large-scale battery production. But, as demonstrated at the recent CEATEC 2023 technology exhibition, the company’s involvement in the automotive sector extends far beyond just batteries. Panasonic showcased a unique “Skeleton Car,” revealing that it can provide up to 60 different “automotive solutions” (usually components) for a single EV. These contributions make the company an integral part of the rapidly evolving EV ecosystem, playing a role that is far more comprehensive than commonly understood.
More than Just Batteries: Nearly 60 Automotive Solutions
At CEATEC 2023, Panasonic took the opportunity to exhibit the Skeleton Car, an eye-catching demonstration model designed to reveal the myriad components the company manufactures for electric vehicles. These components are categorized into two broad solutions: “Environment devices” and “Well-being devices.”
“Environment devices” refer to components that contribute to the framework and operations of the electric vehicle. These include:
- Heads-up Displays: Providing drivers with essential information right in their line of sight, thereby minimizing distractions and enhancing safety.
- In-Vehicle Information (IVI) Systems: Offering multimedia functionalities, navigation, and other services that enhance the driving experience.
- Car-Mounted Cameras: Aiding in safety features like parking assistance and collision avoidance.
The importance of these components goes beyond mere convenience, extending to elements of safety, efficiency, and user interaction within the electric vehicle ecosystem.
The second category, “Well-being devices,” is focused on enhancing comfort inside the vehicle’s cabin. The components under this category include:
- EV Relays: Essential for controlling electrical circuits within the vehicle.
- Film Capacitors: Used in a variety of electronic circuits to ensure stable electrical flow.
- Sensors: Monitoring various conditions inside the car, from cabin air quality to the status of electrical systems.
- Compressors: Vital for functions like air conditioning to maintain cabin comfort.
- Lithium Batteries for Automotive Use: Beyond propelling the vehicle, these batteries also support internal electronics and systems.
An Interactive Showcase
The Skeleton Car at CEATEC 2023 was not just a static display; it featured an interactive screen offering attendees additional information on each component type. This allowed visitors to gain a deeper understanding of Panasonic’s extensive contributions to the world of electric vehicles. That was a great idea because it’s hard to have trained staff with such a broad knowledge.
Panasonic’s Skeleton Car is an enlightening display of the company’s extensive capabilities in the automotive industry, far beyond its well-known battery production. With up to 60 different automotive solutions possible for a single electric vehicle, Panasonic is positioned not just as a battery supplier, but as a comprehensive solutions provider for the entire EV.
By showcasing a range of both environment and well-being devices, Panasonic is underlining its commitment to contribute to the complete experience of electric driving — from the vehicle’s operational efficiency to the comfort of the passengers. It is clear that the company’s role in the development and proliferation of electric vehicles is far more multifaceted than one might have initially thought.