If you’re a MobileMe user, then chances are pretty good that you would have realized that Apple’s MobileMe service has been nothing but down for the past few hours, where the current system status page at time of publishing points towards email, web apps and Find My iPhone still being affected by the outage.
Around 25% of users are affected when it comes to email, which is quite a sizeable amount although definitely not as serious as what we’ve seen earlier today – where the figure touched as much as 75%.
Of course, we cannot fully expect services like MobileMe to be issue-free all the time, but to have a widespread outage like this, and for a prolonged period of time? These are rather rare, so we’re still not quite sure what’s behind the outage as nothing has been revealed. As Apple is preparing to launch its iCloud service in order to replace MobileMe in due time, perhaps they’re doing some stuff on the back end which has resulted in the outage?
Were you affected?
- 2013-10-01: Former MobileMe Users Now Being Shifted To Standard iCloud Storage
- 2012-09-24: MobileMe users reach end of iCloud storage road
- 2012-06-01: Apple starts sending MobileMe users 30 day warning
- 2012-04-19: Apple Gives Away Snow Leopard for MobileMe Users to Get Onto iCloud
- 2012-04-13: German Court Upholds Ban on Push Email in Apple’s iCloud and MobileMe
- 2012-02-24: iCloud and MobileMe email down in Germany, workarounds already available
- 2011-08-26: MobileMe/iCloud phishing scam on the rise again
- 2011-08-08: Apple kills off MobileMe sync for keychains, widgets, accounts, and preferences officially
- 2011-05-13: MobileMe no longer on sale at Amazon.com: replacement on its way?