If you’re the type of multitask, or if you’re looking for a good way to motivate yourself to exercise, this bicycle dynamo USB charger by Thanko could be just what you are looking for. As the name implies, you will be able to charge your device simply by pedaling the bicycle, which is great especially if you’re someone who relies on a bicycle as their main mode of transportation.
How it charges is via a dynamo that is attached to the front or rear fork of your bicycle, which is then connected to the charging unit, which is then linked to a mobile device holder than can be mounted on your bicycle’s handle bar. Basically as you pedal, power is generated which is then sent to the charging unit and charges your device. The only downside is that you would need to provide your own charging cable to hook up to the charging unit, such as a micro USB charger or Apple’s 30-pin dock connector.
As to how much it can charge, well according to Thanko, this contraption is capable of producing a maximum of 500mA, but since its power output is entirely dependent on how fast you pedal, it has been calculated that you would need to be going about 20kmph or more to achieve 500mA. If this sounds like something you’d be interested in as a way of keeping your battery topped up, or keeping your device alive until you reach home, Thanko is selling it for ¥1,980 which is about $26.
Next Story: Kogan announces 8" and 10" tablets
- 2014-04-03 Captain America Saves Your Data, Too
- 2014-04-02 USB Type-C Cable Render Spotted
- 2014-03-28 The iMacompanion Adds A USB Port To The Front Of iMacs
- 2014-03-13 dataSTICKIES Concept USB Flash Drive
- 2014-03-10 Aleratec Cruiser Mini Portable Makes Short Work Of USB Flash Drive Duplication
- 2013-06-25 Thanko USB Shoes Cooler
- 2012-06-18 USB Thanko Foot Cooler
- 2012-05-11 Thanko USB Cool Cushion 2 ups the ante
- 2011-11-04 Thanko USB Eye Warmer
- 2011-06-30 Thanko's "Hot Cool Box" Doubles As A Mini USB Fridge And Heater