We did check out some flexible displays over at the recently concluded Nokia World 2011, but while those do not seem to be on their way to the masses too soon, Samsung might have an ace up their sleeves with the target of rolling out smartphones that have flexible displays in 2012 – while tablets and other portable devices will also come with such displays in due time, assuming their flexible display phones take off as expected. I guess there wouldn’t be much point in having a flexible display if the rest of the device’s body remains rigid, right?
Spokesman Robert Yi mentioned, “The flexible display, we are looking to introduce sometime in 2012, hopefully the earlier part. The application probably will start from the handset side.”
So far, Samsung did display flexible OLED (organic light emitting diode) displays within rigid cases that ensured such screens remain curved in the past, and we would like to get hold of such products for ourselves in the future as well. What would you do with a cylindrical handset?
Next Story: Soft robot creeps around - creepily, no less
- 2014-04-16: Samsung Exec Felt Jobs' Death Was 'Best Opportunity' To Attack iPhone
- 2014-04-16: AT&T Galaxy S4 Active Android 4.4 Update Released
- 2014-04-16: Samsung Android Wear Smartwatch Expected Later This Year
- 2014-04-16: Samsung Shows Off Curved Batteries Used In The Gear Fit
- 2014-04-16: High-End Samsung Tizen Device To Arrive By End Of Q2 2014
- 2012-12-02: Samsung Flexible Displays To Ship In 2013
- 2011-12-05: Samsung shows off flexible display concept tablet in video