Now this is a rather interesting twist – Yahoo! Maps is being powered by Nokia, who would have thought? I guess there were clues to such a partnership already, as Nokia and Yahoo! did join forces last year to create an alliance which leverages each others’ strengths in email, instant messaging, maps and navigation services. Yahoo! will now make the switch to using the Nokia Maps platform, where a gradual rollout across the globe is happening, starting with folks living Stateside and in Canada first.
Yahoo! Maps will now benefit from the bunch of new features provided by Nokia Maps, including the latest maps with up-to-date location data/addresses, new routing options that enables users to avoid tolls and freeway, updated road networks and points of interest. Not only that, the Nokia Maps engine has also undergone a certain degree of customization by Yahoo! so that users won’t get shocked with the unfamiliar. The updated interface delivers a new, simplified layout and visual design that has a maximized viewable area and enhanced business listings support.
Are you going to give the new Yahoo! Maps a shot?
Next Story: Evidence of Google's Music Download Store
- 2014-04-11: Nokia To Provide Chennai Factory Workers With Redundancy Packages
- 2014-04-10: Only PureView And High-End Nokia Handsets To Get Dedicated Camera Button [Rumor]
- 2014-04-09: Facebook Messenger For Asha, Lumia, Nokia X Announced
- 2014-04-09: Nokia X Custom Android ROM Revealed
- 2014-04-09: Nokia 225 Is Slimmest Affordable Internet Handset
- 2012-06-14: Windows Phone Maps Traffic, Now Powered by Nokia
- 2012-05-24: Bing Maps using Nokia data for Traffic and Geocoding
- 2011-12-07: Nokia Maps 3D updated with navigation and sharing features
- 2011-11-30: Nokia working on 3D indoor mapping
- 2011-11-14: Nokia Maps update bumps version to 3.08