The other day we mentioned that the Facebook for Android app would be getting an update in the near future and it looks like it’s sooner than expected. If you don’t already know – the official Facebook app for Android isn’t very good – content takes a long time to load, and we’re missing features such as push notifications. And in my opinion, something is very wrong when the mobile website gives a better experience than the native app.
Today on the official Facebook blog, the update for the Android Facebook app has been announced. The new version is claimed to be faster especially when it comes to viewing and sharing photographs, and it features a redesigned UI that’s much closer to the iOS/mobile page version of the social network. Still no mention of push notifications, but at least we get a nifty notification bar that stays on top at all times.
The updated app isn’t available on the Android Market just yet but keep checking back – it should be rolling out over the next few days.
Update (11.26PM PST) : The app is now available from the Android Market.
- 2014-04-15: Google Glass Android 4.4 KitKat Update Arrives
- 2014-04-15: Line Messaging App Announces New Sticons Feature
- 2014-04-13: Google Redesigning Android App Icons [Rumor]
- 2014-04-10: Age Of Empires: World Domination Greets iOS, Android And Windows Phone Platforms This Year
- 2014-04-10: Chrome Beta For Android Updated
- 2013-12-02: Facebook Rumored To Be Interested In Acquiring Indian Startup Company
- 2012-11-26: Facebook reportedly pushing their developers towards Android
- 2012-08-24: Facebook reportedly "forcing" employees to use Android phones in order to improve the Android Facebook app
- 2012-07-13: Facebook app for Android updated
- 2012-04-06: Security flaw discovered in Facebook app for iOS and Android