Early this year, T-Mobile unveiled its plan to launch a 4G LTE network of its own in 2013. T-Mobile CEO Philipp Humm previously outlined the company’s reinvigorated challenger strategy focused on making 4G available and affordable saying “We want to be known for delivering the best value in wireless because of the advanced technology we deliver at an affordable price.” Well, things are doing quite well in T-Mobile. Today, the carrier is announcing some of the highlights they have achieved so far. First is T-Mobile’s multi-year agreements with Ericsson and Nokia Siemens Networks to support its $4 billion 4G network evolution plan that will include a modernization of 37,000 cell sites and a move to the latest, state-of-the-art, LTE release 10 capable equipment.
T-Mobile reiterated that the effort should improve existing voice and data coverage to a broader range of devices. “With contracts in place, we’re making excellent headway on our network infrastructure transformation. By the end of this month we expect new equipment to be installed at our first 400 modernized GSM / HSPA+ sites and we plan to grow this to over 2,500 sites by the end of July,” T-Mobile announced. Also, T-Mobile was able to secure zoning approval for over 19,500 sites and said that it has completed necessary entitlement work.
“As new equipment is in place, we’re turning up some small scale tests of 4G HSPA+ service in our 1900 MHz spectrum. Some customers with unlocked iPhones recently saw evidence of those tests; clocking much faster data speeds at the Moscone West conference center in San Francisco. More of these speed sightings will occur as we work toward introducing 4G HSPA+ service in our 1900 MHz spectrum in a large number of markets later this year,” the carrier added. Apparently LTE trials are already underway. The telecommunications giant mentioned that it will begin using Release-10 equipment this summer, with the end goal of launching its final LTE technology next year.
Next Story: Vizio All-In-One PC Launches in 24 and 27 inches
- 2014-04-23 T-Mobile To Offer Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 In The Summer
- 2014-04-23 LG Optimus L90 & L70 Launches On T-Mobile And MetroPCS
- 2014-04-14 T-Mobile Abolishes Consumer Overages
- 2014-04-14 T-Mobile CEO Reveals Gold Samsung Galaxy S5
- 2014-04-13 Nokia Monarch Could Be T-Mobile's Lumia 635
- 2013-04-30 AT&T 4G LTE Switched On In 20 New Markets
- 2013-04-01 Nokia Lumia 810 Will Not Have Its LTE Enabled, According To T-Mobile
- 2013-02-17 T-Mobile’s 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot Shows Up In Press
- 2012-02-23 T-Mobile to launch 4G LTE network in 2013
- 2011-05-24 Volunteers required for 4G LTE trial in Cornwall, UK